The Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) has released the 14th edition of Global Peace Index (GPI) report which ranks Independent Countries and Territories according to their level of peacefulness. The Global Peace Index apart from looking at the presence or absence of war takes into consideration; the absence of violence or the fear of violence across these three domains:
- Safety and Security
- Ongoing Conflict
- and Militarisation.
Here are the Key Findings of the 2020 Global Peace Index Report.
- The average level of global peacefulness deteriorated 0.34 percent on the 2020 GPI. This is the ninth time in the last 12 years that global peacefulness has deteriorated.
- The Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region remained the world’s least peaceful region.
- Europe remains the most peaceful region in the world, although it recorded a slight deterioration in peacefulness.
- Peacefulness improved on average in the Militarisation domain but deteriorated in both the Ongoing Conflict and Safety and Security domains.
- After years of improvements in average military spending, there was an increase in military expenditure as a percentage of GDP for the first time in five years. Seventy-nine countries had deteriorations on this indicator
- Of the 23 GPI indicators, eight recorded an improvement, 12 had a deterioration, with the remaining three indicators not registering any change over the past year.
Click here to read the full report.
Let’s look at the Top 20 Most Peaceful Countries in Africa.
Top 20 Most Peaceful Countries in Africa.
The 14th edition of the Global Peace Index (GPI) report includes an analysis of the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on peace, it also examines how the economic consequences of the pandemic will increase the risk of severe deteriorations in Positive Peace over the next few years.
While most African Countries still battles the grips of authoritarian government and many unresolved conflicts, the under-listed Countries are the most peaceful countries in Africa. It is important to note that while Mauritius is the first in Africa, it is the number 23 most peaceful country in the World.
Here are the top 20 Most Peaceful Countries in Africa
5. Sierra Leone
11. Equatorial Guinea
12. The Gambia
14. Eswatini (Swaziland)
7 thoughts on “Top 20 Most Peaceful Countries in Africa, according to Global Peace Index”
So what happened to Nigeria and South Africa?
I guess Boko Haram and Xenophobia
Mauritius is a small Country of less than 2 million people. They deserve to be there
I am proud to be half mauritian half mongolian!
Am proud to be a Sierra leonean the fifth most peaceful country in African
Proud Ghanaian. Love to all my African brothers and sisters. Let’s live in peace.
Ghana,my happy home.
Shout outs to all ghanaians,may the peace continue to reign with God
Uganda shouldnt have missed in this list,it is the most peaceful in the whole world.