Brenda Fassie was a South African Afropop singer, anti-apartheid activist, dancer, and songwriter. Born November 3, 1964, she was generally referred to as the Queen of Pop, Black Madonna or Madonna of The Townships. She recorded her first hit single “Weekend Special” at the age of 19.
Some of Brenda Fassie’s hit singles include:
- Good Black Woman
- Shoot Them Before They Grow
- Don’t Follow Me I’m Married
- Black President
- Mama I’m Sorry
- Weekend Special
- Higher & Higher
10 Quotable Quotes Brenda Fassie
1. I’d rather have happiness than money. People ask for it. Sometimes when I don’t have it. I make other people’s problems my problem because they want me to; they ask me to.
2. I am angry about the world’s conditions for black people
3. I am a shocker. I like to create controversy. It’s my trademark.
4. Stars talk about how they dislike fans fussing over them, begging for autographs and things like that, but deep down inside, they love every minute of it.
“I’ve been living for so long, people call me names, they say I’m no good they think that I am crazy, can’t you see, I found my man, I’m in love, I’m married I’m in love, and I’m happy” – Don’t Follow Me I’m Married
5. You know, the more I appear in newspapers, the more famous I become.
6. I wanna be loved. I just wanna be loved.
7. 16-year-old kids protesting they want freedom, Black children crying saying give us better education, Good white man say, give them good education, The bad white man say, shoot them before they grow
“The bad white man said shoot them before they grow, good white man said give them freedom, Freedom for the black man, The boys, and the girls are running, Running for their lives, ‘Cause the man with the gun is coming, coming to shoot them before they grow” – Shoot Them Before they grow
8. Life is going on, but it’s up to me and you, What we gonna do
9. l asked the Lord to give me strength… then He gives me hope! I asked the Lord and he gives me courage.
10. I’m so good and so loving that men don’t believe it.