The World Health Organisation internship programme 2019 is closing on June 30, 2019. If you have not applied, you still have the opportunity.
World Health Organisation internship programme offers a wide range of opportunities for graduate and postgraduate students to gain insight in the technical and administrative programmes of WHO while enriching their knowledge and experience in the health sector, thereby contributing to the advancement public health.
Core Objectives of the programme
The World Health Organisation internship programme has three major objectives:
(a) to provide a framework for assigning students from diverse academic backgrounds to understand the World Health Organisation (WHO) programmes, where educational experience can be enhanced through practical work assignments
(b) to expose students to the work of WHO and
(c) to provide WHO programmes with the assistance of students specializing in various fields.
Note: Most students are placed in health-related programmes, although placements in other areas of work like for example communication, external relations, finance or human resources are also possible.
Description of duties
Under the supervision of a technical expert in the respective area, interns are assigned a project based on agreed terms of references and in line with their skills set. These terms of references typically include some or all of the following responsibilities:
- Review literature and conduct literature surveys
- Undertake web research and data collection on a specific subject area
- Organize data and documents
- Participate in the development of tools and guidelines
- Assist in drafting, formatting and editing policy briefs, tool kits, guides/manuals, hand-outs, brochures and reports
- Assist in organizing workshops, meetings, conferences, events
- Participate in on-going departmental projects
Qualification for World Health Organisation internship programme 2019
Candidate must have completed three years of full-time studies (bachelor’s level or equivalent) at a university or equivalent institution prior to commencing the assignment; AND be enrolled in a course of study at a university or equivalent institution leading to a formal qualification (applicants who have already graduated may also qualify for consideration provided that they start the internship within six months after completion of their formal qualification).
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural difference
- Communicating effectively orally and in writing
- Showing a willingness to learn from mistakes
- Producing and delivering quality results
- Working collaboratively with team members
- Interns need to be familiar with commonly used computer programmes, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of specialized computer programmes, for example, statistical software such as XLStat may be an advantage.
- Depending on the area of interest, the below experience may be needed and/or would be an advantage.
- Experience in research and/or in drafting reports
- Experience in the subject area through academic work or research
Field and/or developing country experience
- Experience with data analysis, statistical packages and interest in the design of graphical display and analysis of health information in an international comparative perspective, such as for health system performance assessment
- More specific experience such as specialized computer programmes
Fluency in one of WHO’s working languages (reading, writing and speaking). WHO official languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish
Knowledge of the local language in some duty stations can be an asset
Please note that the World Health Organisation internship programme is very competitive and only a small number of applicants are accepted every year.
Interns are not paid and are not eligible for appointment to any position in WHO for a period of three months following the end of the internship.
If selected for a WHO Internship, you will be required to provide certified copies of proof of enrolment in a course of studies and a medical certificate of fitness for work.
To Apply click here