Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was the first Prime Minister of Nigeria who was named in 1957 by the British government in preparation for Nigeria’s Independence.
Born December, 1912, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa was assassinated at the age of 53 on January 15, 1966 in Lagos State.
Here are Top 10 Quotes of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa on Nigeria’s Independence
1. Bitterness due to political differences would carry Nigeria nowhere, I appealed to the political leaders throughout the country to control their party extremists.
2. We must seize the opportunity which has been offered to us to show that we are able to manage our own affairs properly. Every Nigerian, whatever his status, and whatever his religion, has his or her share to contribute to this crucial task.
3. I am convinced, and I want you also to be convinced, that the future of this vast country must depend, in the main, on the efforts of ourselves to help ourselves. This we cannot do if we do not work together in unity.
4. Our political advance will be of no value if it is not supported by economic progress
5. It is the duty of all of us to work for unity and encourage members of all our communities to live together in peace and harmony. The way to do this is to create understanding, mutual respect and trust
6. Unity is our greatest concern, and it is the duty of everyone of us to work so that we may strengthen it .
7. The peoples of Nigeria must be united to enable this country to play a full part in shaping the destiny of mankind. On no account should we allow the selfish ambitions of individuals to jeopardise the peace of the law-abiding people of Nigeria
8. It is important that we first show respect to each other before asking the world to respect us
9. It is important that we put away bitterness and go forward in friendship to Independence.
10. It is therefore most important that the development plans throughout the country should be carried out with vigour in order that we may have a proper financial standing when, in three years’ time, we ask the world to regard us as an independent self-governing nation.
3 thoughts on “Top 10 Quotes of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa on Nigeria’s Independence”
Almost all the quotes from late Sir Abbakar Tafawa balewa focused strictly on Nigerian unity, am surprised when I heard some southerners desseminating news that our founding fathers did not manifested a solid base for unity.
Almost all the quotes from late Sir Abbakar Tafawa balewa focused strictly on Nigerian unity when he heard the smell of oil and gas.
No Nigerian living or dead is “founding father” of Nigeria. This country is the entire creation of the British. We may have pioneer indigenous Nigerian leaders, none was/is a founding father. None of them ever bargained for Nigeria. As a matter of fact, the North said it was not ready for independence. If the South had been wise enough, it would have gotten independence separately and not be entangled in the messy entity that Nigeria has become. 1914 was a big error. 1960 was the biggest error for this ill-fated country.
We should never have been one country – at least, three separate countries.
Check your history well.