If you are thinking of how to make money on Twitter, then this article is for you. With over 200 million active users, Twitter is one of the largest social media platforms, and if you could just catch a glimpse of what a fraction of that number could do to generate income for you or your brand, you’d read further.
Making money on Twitter might be energy-intensive but the moment you get your strategy right, it becomes more fun than difficult. There are many ways to make money on Twitter and it’s up to you to pick one way and stick with it or try many different strategies and see how it goes. Either way, the idea is that you’ll be able to generate income by using your Twitter account as a business tool.
Ready to find out how to monetize your Twitter account?
This article will be showing you exactly how people have generated income on Twitter and how you can use the same methods to earn as well.
Table of Contents
How To Make Money On Twitter
Without a doubt, there are numerous proven ways of generating income on Twitter. However, at the base of it all is the most important—growing your Twitter account. After that, it will be relatively easy to earn off Twitter through any of the methods that follows:
1. Grow Your Twitter Account:
Twitter is a great place to grow your online presence, and it can be very profitable with the right amount of time, effort and strategy. If you want to make money on Twitter, it’s important that you build up a strong following by applying certain guidelines such as creating valuable content and engaging with people who have a similar audience as the one you would like to have.
Here are some proven ways of growing a Twitter account effectively;
Optimize Your Twitter Profile:
- Optimizing your Twitter profile is the first step to growing and monetizing your Twitter account.
- From your username to your Twitter handle to your bio, you want everything to look as personable yet professional as possible.
- Your username should be your name or brand name, same as your Twitter handle. Your bio (which is about 160 characters) should tell of what you do and how it benefits people. You can add your blog or website link to the bio section for easy traffic diversion to those platforms.
- Finally, your profile picture and cover image should be professional shots or graphics that reflect what you do for money.
Share Content That People Love:
- If you want to build an audience, you have to add value and to add value to your audience, you have to create content—valuable content.
- Creating custom content based on things people love seeing is a major way to grow your Twitter following. People will gravitate toward your posts and follow you if they like what they see.
- If you’re clueless on how to go about this, you can simply begin by sharing content that you love and then with time, you discover what ticks your audience off and give it to them.
- In summary, make your content engaging, resonating and valuable.
Engage With Your Followers:
Engaging with your followers is a good way to get them to engage on your posts, retweet your content, and generally make sure they know what you’re up to.
Here are some tips for engaging on Twitter:
- Ask and answer questions. Ask genuine questions to get to know your audience. You can carry out surveys and questionnaires in order to know your audience preferences.
- Direct Messages: you can use this tool to connect and network with people that can in one way or the other add benefit to you or your audience.
- Comment on others’ tweets: If someone asks something on Twitter that relates to what you write about, answer it. This puts you in the face of more people thereby increasing your followership rate.
- Reply to comments on your tweets. This is as simple as it gets.
- It’s one thing to have an audience and another thing to have an engaging audience so take the initiative to engage as well.
Know Your Target Audience:
Knowing your target audience is one of the most important things you can do to grow your Twitter account and make money on Twitter because if you don’t know who they are, how can you even reach them?
When considering who to target on Twitter, there are several factors that come into play:
- What are you offering?
- Who are the people that want what you’re offering?
- Where can you find these people?
- How can you effectively help them achieve their goals and dreams on this platform?
These and more are questions that can help you clarify who you should target and how to find them.
Use Trending Hashtags On Twitter:
Twitter algorithm greatly favors hashtags and unlike some other social media platforms, there are a lot of ways to use hashtags on Twitter. You can use them to find your audience, find people who are interested in your niche, get more engagement and even generate new followers.
The first thing you want to consider when creating or using a hashtag is the kind of content you want to share with the world. Is it something that relates to the hashtag? Should it be focused on specific groups of people (like #womentravel or #malefitness) or should it be broader?
Once you’ve decided how specific the hashtag should be, look at what others are tweeting about with similar topics and if you like the outcome, see if you can mirror their format.
Pick One Way To Make Money And Stick With It:
If you want to learn how to make money on Twitter, you must acknowledge that you can’t do everything at once nor can you be everything to everyone.
Trying to do everything is a recipe for burnout, and you’ll never be able to focus long enough on any one thing to make any real progress towards your goal (or even get started).
The best way of all? Just pick one thing that interests you and focus on it exclusively until you have made a name for yourself in that industry. It may take some time before your first paycheck arrives but the secret lies in not giving up.
For any path you try out, consider sticking with it for a few months to evaluate its success rate before moving on to others(if necessary).
Affiliate marketing is a way of earning income whereby you promote someone’s product with your personal affiliate link and when your followers click on the link and make a purchase, you get a commission on every sale. This is a verified way of making money on Twitter especially if you’ve grown your audience to a reasonable extent.
There are a lot of platforms that are open to affiliates: Commission Junction, Linkshare, Impact Radius, Amazon Affiliate, Jumia Affiliates, Konga Affiliates among others. You can also reach out to big brands directly to become their affiliate marketer.
With this type of marketing however, you must be careful not to spam your audience with too many affiliate links or with products that they have no interest in.
If you’re into a niche already, it’s best that you only affiliate with brands in your niche and more-so, infuse it with personal content.
Sell Your Own Products:
You can also make money on Twitter by selling your own products and/or services. This is the best means of generating income if you are looking at establishing a long-term business on Twitter.
By selling your own products and services, you’re building an audience around your brand and in the long run, this pays off for business.
Another great way to make money on Twitter is from influencer marketing. This is a form of marketing in which a brand directly acquires the services of an influencer or someone with a large Twitter following – in this case, you – to promote the brand in order to boost visibility, increase sales, generate leads or achieve any other set goal.
Influencer marketing, unlike sponsored tweets, is solely dependent on your policies as the account holder and has little or nothing to do with Twitter interference. It is a one-on-one transaction between you and the brand you are advertising.
Traffic diversion entails the redirection of audience or followers from a Twitter account to a website, blog or business account for increased visibility, more sales and/or lead generation.
Traffic can be diverted from your account to a platform where you constantly make sales through either of the following:
- Inclusion of the website or blog link in the link section of the bio on your Twitter profile. That way, any visitor to your wall can see the link and check it out.
- Another way is by adding that link in the comment section of a tweet you made that is gaining a lot of traction and engagement. The wider the reach of that high-performing tweet, the wider your website or blog link goes and by extension, more clicks and increased sales potential.
Promote your profile and product using Sponsored Tweets:
Sponsored tweets is an easy way to promote your profile and your product (if you have any on Twitter). The well-known Twitter advertising service, SponsoredTweets, enables you to control the cost-per-click for the advertisements you tweet. A list of available ads that is updated frequently is where you can choose the advertisements you want to tweet.
With the help of SponsoredTweets, brands can connect with new customers by tapping into a Twitter user’s following. Tweeters receive payment for each ad they accept by allowing businesses access to their Twitter feed.
To sign up for this service, you need to have a minimum of 50 followers, 100 tweets, and an account of at least 60 days old.
When it comes to making money on Twitter, there are no hard rules—you just need to know what works for you. Twitter favors consistency so it’s best that you pick a strategy and keep at it consistently for a minimum of some months and see how it goes for you.